Thursday 13 October 2011

thinking pink

October marks National Breast Cancer Awareness month, a cause very close to my heart. Each year 12,700 Australian women are affected by Breast Cancer, and one in every nine Australian women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer by the age of 85. This disease has affected two very important women in my life.

Two years ago one of my nearest and dearest friends was diagnosed with Breast Cancer at the age of 27. Unfortunately for Kate, this disease runs in her family. Looking back at that surreal diagnosis day, we still can’t believe it happened to her. She handled her diagnosis with an air of grace - something I don’t think I would have been able to maintain. After undergoing various treatments, Kate is now healthy and one of the most courageous women I know.

So 'Think Pink' this month. I will be.

http://www.nbcf.org.au/

In a few weeks I will be able to unveil a project Kate and I are working on with two other amazing friends to raise money for the Cancer Council Queensland. We are so excited - watch this space!
Amy, me, Kate and Ella - just after being diagnosed
Me, Ella and Kate - the day she shaved her head
Me, Kate and Ella - midway through treatment

Kate and her husband Will - midway through treatment (he shaved his head for her)

Kate and Will this year


No comments:

Post a Comment