Tuesday 22 November 2011

smooth

i'm not the biggest breakfast person - don't get me wrong, I love going out for a good breakfast with friends, and have been known to venture out on the weekends by myself to enjoy a leisurely breakfast reading the paper and people watching. when it comes to the daily routine of breakfast I just don't get into it too much. i tend to grab something at work, or wait until I'm starving at 11:30 and eat lunch early. this is a terrible trait as I am told breakfast is 'the most important meal of the day'. with the weather heating up, I have been getting into smoothie making. not only is it fast and easy, it is healthy, nutritious and delicious.

here are some variations my flatmates and I have been making for each other lately:



base ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of milk (whatever you drink, rice, soy, low fat, full fat etc)
  • 4 ice cubes
  • 2 dessert spoons of natural low fat yogurt
mango, banana, honey and coconut:
  • 1/2 a mango
  • 1 banana
  • 1 dessert spoon of honey
  • 2 dessert spoons of shredded coconut
mango, pineapple, kiwi and blueberry:
  • 1/2 mango
  • 1/4 pineapple
  • 1 kiwi fruit
  • 1/4 cup blueberries
kale, spinach and pear:

 
i found this recipe on Sterling Style - i was dubious at first, but this was a hit. I haven't had too much to do with kale, but I have since found out it is extremely good for you - this will be a regular...
  • 1 big cup chopped kale leaves
  • 1/2 pear
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 1/2 cups cold almond milk (Taylor likes unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
  • 1 tablespoon of honey



method for all smoothies:
  • place all your ingredients in your blender and whizz away
  • if you prefer a thinner or thicker consistency, just adjust to your liking
of course you can always go down the 'traditional' smoothie course and have a simple banana and cinnamon, or strawberry, or frozen mixed berries smoothie. use a flavoured yogurt. go crazy and have fun creating. with the amazing produce we are blessed with in our summer months, peaches, nectarines, grapes, plums, the possibilities are endless....

images: that girl lucy and sterling style

No comments:

Post a Comment