Tuesday 10 May 2011

RAFW Inspired

With Rosemount Australian Fashion Week (RAFW) over for another year, media again raised the 'weighty' debate over the use of 'very thin models' strutting their stuff on the catwalks. I've been traipsing over my favourite websites for the past week, admiring new lines from our amazingly talented Australian designers, and I must admit, my focus wasn't on the weight of the models, but rather on the fashions! It has had me wondering however, just who dictates how thin these beauties should be? The designers or their agencies, it seems neither want to comment.

Fashion Blogger Scott Schuman of The Sartorialist fame sparked a similar debate back in March, by posting a picture of an up-coming fashion blogger with the comment "I saw this young lady in Milan several times this past season. She is on of the crop new bloggers. I loved that she's a bigger, curvier girl than most of the other bloggers who you see in the press and tend to represent the genre." He received backlash from his devoted followers for this comment, as the young lady in question isn't typically curvy. I suppose perception is in the eye of the beholder.

I, like most women have been influenced by all forms of media and have felt pressure at times to lose weight and look more model-esque. Most fashions on the runway are designed to look good on coat hangers, so it's no wonder models are size 0, 1 and 2. The older I get, the more comfortable I have become with the shape of my body, and have learnt to shop for my size, and style accordingly.

That said, trends which reigned supreme at this years RAFW were colour blocking, minimalism, bold prints, lace and pleats. Here are some of my favourites.


colour blocking: Bianca Spender
  
minimalism: arnsdorf

 
bold prints: Karla Spetic

lace: Zimmerman

pleats: Magdalena Velevska

Behind the scenes Emma Lung, Sophie Lowe, April Rose Pengilly and of course a 'thingswhichinspire' personal favourite Lara Bingle couldn't put a foot wrong. I'll be taking a leaf out of their style books...

Emma Lung front row at Fernando Frisoni 

Sophie Lowe arriving at Camilla and Marc

 April Rose Pengilly arriving at Karla Spetic

Lara Bingle arriving at Josh Goot

No comments:

Post a Comment